I suppose the place to begin is the beginning. All beginnings start with a single step. This is the beginning of my journey and that step.
Virtue: According to Dictionary.com (This is the one covered in this blog)
1. moral excellence; goodness; righteousness.
2. conformity of one's life and conduct to moral and ethical principles; uprightness; rectitude.
3. a good or admirable quality or property.
Piety: According to Dictionary.com
1. reverence for God or devout fulfillment of religious obligations.
2. dutiful respect or regard for parents, homeland, etc.
Study: According to Dictionary.com
1. application of the mind to the acquisition of knowledge, as by reading, investigation, or reflection.
2. the cultivation of a particular branch of learning, science, or art.
3. a personal effort to gain knowledge.
I decided to start here rather than with the virtues (Wisdom, Piety, Vision, Courage, Integrity, Perseverance, Hospitality, Moderation and Fertility) because I think a good base is what counts so this is my attempt to build that base and give myself a jumping off point.
Virtue, for me, is how I act towards myself, my family, others, especially those on the outside so that they see me for who I am fully and not by someone else. I have always tried to be myself, tried to treat others as I have wanted to be treated. It doesn't always happen though.
Virtue is like the Wiccan Rede, "An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will". However, over time my view of this has also changed. I feel that anything you do, right or wrong, affects others and sometimes even right actions affect others negatively. I have learned, through my own faulted thinking that even right actions can hurt others.
Virtue is slightly different than the rede in that it's not so much a rule or law but a way of life. To live true to yourself and yourself only, but to do the best you can. Accept that you can't please everyone all the time but as long as you live true to yourself, that's what matters.
As I think of more things to say on this topic I will add them. All comments or thoughts are welcome.